If tired of eating pasta with tomato sauce, then this recipe is for you. If you love strong flavours, this recipe is also for you. Egg pappardelle with cavolo nero and sausage is very easy to make, and it tastes divine. If you have some unexpected guests for dinner, then just pop to the shops and get these easy to find ingredients: in about 30 minutes, you will have a delicious dinner. If you cannot find cavolo nero, then you can use kale, or even spinach. Mind that spinaches don’t require as long cooking time: 10 minutes is more than enough, and won’t require the use of stock.
Ingredients for 4 portions:
300gr of fresh eggs tagliatelle
400gr of chipolatas or Linconshire sausages
500gr of cavolo nero
500ml of unsalted or low salt vegetable stock
250ml of red wine
1 red onion
3 tbsps of half fat crème fraiche
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated percorino romano cheese to serve
- Roughly chop the onion and let it sweat for 10 minutes with the olive oil in a large pan over very low heat, until it becomes soft and translucent.
- Meanwhile, wash and cut into thin strips the cavolo nero. Remove the skin from the sausages, and mash them with the back of the fork.
- Add the sausage to the pan, raise the heat to medium, and let it brown. Add the wine and cook until it has evaporated.
- Add the cavolo nero, and sauté for 10 minutes. Add half of the stock, lover the heat to minimum, cover the pan and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. In case it becomes too dry, add a little stock at time, so it won’t stick to the pan and burn.
- Remove the lid, and raise the heat to medium. Stir in the cream and cook for a further 10 minutes. Season to taste. Be careful with salt and pepper: this sauce has already a very strong flavour, due to the sausages and the cavolo nero, and it usually does not require extra seasoning. Switch off and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt and stir in the pappardelle. Depending on the manufacturer, fresh pasta will only take 2-3 minutes to cook. Freshly homemade pasta will cook in one minute or less, depending on its thickness. Drain the pasta, taking care of reserving a cup of its cookig water.
- Stir the pappardelle into the pot with cavolo nero and sausage, add a little of the reserved water, and sauté on high heat for a couple of minutes, or until all the water has evaporated. Serve immediately with grated pecorino Romano cheese.
Store in the fridge your leftover egg pappardelle with cavolo nero and sausage in an airtight container, for maximum 24 hours.
Egg pappardelle with cavolo nero and sausage can be turned in a delicious pasta bake: use 650ml of béchamel instead of the crème fraiche, follow the recipe to the end, then put the pasta in an oven dish, dust with plenty of grated pecorino cheese, then put it in the preheated oven at 200°C/gas mark 6. Bake for 30 minutes, then grill for 10 minutes, until the top has formed a nice golden crost.