It’s hard to get children eating green beans. I am extremely fond of them myself. However, cooked in the right way, they are delicious. Fortunately, us italians have invented many ways to prepare tasty vegetables, all them coming from the poorest paesant tradition. Green beans in crunchy breadcrumbs and garlic is the ultimate poor-man dish. It uses only 4 ingredients: green beans, garlic, stale bread or breadcrumbs, and olive oil. However, the taste is amazing.
Ingredients for 4 portions:
400 gr of green beans, trimmed
100 gr of stale bread, or breadcrumbs
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbsps of extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare green beans in crunchy breadcrumbs and garlic, start by boiling or steaming your washed green beans. Don’t oercook them, you want them to stay a little crunchy.
- In a pan, warm 1 tbsp of olive oil on low heat, then add 1 garlic clove. Stir and cook for 5 minutes, then add the gren beans, raise the heat, and saute for another 5 minutes. Tip the beans in a bowl.
- Grind the stale bread in the food processor (or use breadcrumbs). Set aside.
- Warm 1 tbsp of olive oil on low heat, add the garlic, cook for 5 minutes. Add the breadcrumbs and saute for a few minutes, until they become crunchy. If to dry, add a little more olive oil, but do not exceed.
- Tip the green beans in the pan, and saute on high heat for a few minuntes. Season to taste. Serve your green beans in crunchy breadcrumbs and garlic immediately.
Green beans in crunchy breadcrumbs and garlic are a perfect side to meat dishes.
Store any leftover in the fridge, an airtight container, for a maximum of 3 days.